Verbena Dormitory

This is a Paragraph. Click on "Edit Text" or double click on the text box to start editing the content and make sure to add any relevant details or information that you want to share with your visitors.

The Verbena Dormitory was built in 1933 by the community to house students attending the Dickson High School. The high school was the first and only high school in the area at the time serving a very large geographic area and the lack of modern transportation necessitated that students had to stay close to the school.

 

Initially, girls stayed here under the supervision of a house matron. It could house 15 girls in 5 bedrooms. Two large rooms on the main floor initially served as classrooms (until the high school was built) and one as a dining room. Boys attended the high school and ate some meals at the Dormitory, but were billeted on local farms--usually exchanging labour for room and board.

In 1938 the high school building was built in the hamlet of Dickson (half a mile from the Dormitory). It now forms the east part of the King of Kings Lutheran Church and serves as the church hall. 

The Dormitory remained open until 1959 housing both male and female students in the later years. The centralized school in Spruce View was opened at this time and buses transported students to the school, removing the need for the Dormitory. It was sold to the Kure family.

The portion of the building housing the Saga Cafe is a later addition by a subsequent owner of the property.

the-danish-canadian-museum-L-13.jpg

The front entry of the Verbena Dormintory buildng as it looks today, inviting visitors into the Gift Shop and Cafe.

1995 front of Museum.jpg
1995 the beginning of the museum.jpg

The Verbena Cafe as it appeared at the time of acquisition to become the Danish Canadian National Museum.

241017930_10159345148129920_8339420971650883615_n.jpg

The Saga Cafe welcomes guests to try Danish Cuisine or enjoy a beverage with friends.

The west side of the Verbena Dormitory as it appeared 1992.

The west side of the Dormitory building as it looks today with the addition of wheel chair ramps and a dining patio.